History

Known on the field as the KBH Brumbies the club was founded in 1905 and is the oldest hockey club still in existence in Australia.

It has seen two World Wars, name changes, home ground changes, uniform changes, rule changes, surface changes and mergers, but continues as a well-regarded family hockey club within Hockey Victoria.

  • 1905 Commenced playing organised games as Auburn Hockey Club and a founding member in formation of the Victorian Amateur Hockey Association (VAHA) in 1906.
  • 1910 Name of the club changed to the Hawthorn Hockey Club. A black and white guernsey for uniform.
  • 1925 Club moves to Willsmere Park, Kew and changes name to Kew Hockey Club
  • 1934 New uniform adopted, consisting of a black shirt with red collar, red pocket with yellow monogram, black sox with red and gold bands at top.
  • 1969 Change colours to Royal Blue and White vertical stripes.
  • 1990 Kew Hockey Club amalgamates with Kew Women’s Hockey Club
  • 1992 Kew Hockey Club move to Elgar Park, Box Hill and jointly build a new synthetic ground with Box Hill Hockey Club
  • 1980 The Chapel Hockey Club moved to Elgar Park to form the Box Hill Hockey Club
  • 1981, Hans Van Beuge, an ex–Kew goalkeeper and International badged umpire, took over the coaching and administration of the club
  • 1983 The Box Hill Hockey Club Junior section was established
  • 1985 The present Clubrooms were built
  • 1987 a sand based pitch was established to reduce the ongoing maintenance costs
  • 1991 Kew Hockey Club is invited to join Box Hill Hockey Club to share the facilities
  • 1992 Jointly Kew and Box Hill Hockey Club upgrade the field to a synthetic pitch
  • 1994 Following the amalgamation of the City of Box Hill and the City of Nunawading to form the City of Whitehorse, Box Hill Hockey club was renamed Box Hill Whitehorse Hockey Club


2015 Kew Hockey Club and Box Hill Whitehorse Hockey Club put a merger proposal to their respective members, this received overwhelming support receiving over 90% of the votes. Establishing one of the largest hockey clubs in Victoria; the KBH Brumbies